Holy Spirit!

You never know what to expect of prayer, especially when praying with a large group, and most especially when that prayer involves Mass.

I was at Mass today at the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe . The chapel was packed. The Shrine was hosting a convention for health care providers (which I had been unaware of) and Bishop Callhan was there to celebrate. It was great to see so many people worshipping on a Saturday afternoon.

Everything moved on as expected until after the Eucharistic prayers were ended. Within moments, while my head was still bowed in prayer, I was surprised by a blare of noise and bright flashing lights.

It was the fire alarm.

In a moment that made me proud to be one with my Catholic brothers and sisters, nobody moved. There was no way. It was almost time to receive Eucharist. God would take care of us.

The alarm continued for a bit, but still we waited. When it was finally silenced, Mass resumed as though nothing had happened.

After Mass, the Bishop couldn’t resist. He turned to us and said, “I always tell people to pray with intensity to bring down the fire of the Holy Spirit. You did it!”

I guess we did.

Leaving, I saw a fireman. I wondered how frustrated he must’ve been when nobody would leave.

Maybe he’s Catholic. If he is, he understands.
mystagogy

1 comment:

Dad29 said...

Incense. Bet your last dollar on it.