Blessed Martyrs of Compiègne, ora pro nobis!

When monastic vows were suppressed by order of the Assemblée[during the French Revolution], city authorities came to the monastery to interrogate each sister as to the motives of her vocation and to offer freedom to any who wished it. When none chose to leave, the officials returned with armed guards that they posted as sentinels within the cloister: they believed that the sisters were afraid to speak for fear of being overheard. One by one the nuns were brought to be examined. When Mother Henriette's turn came, she handed them a written response and asked them to read it aloud to her:
How false are the judgments
that the world makes of us!
Its profound ignorance
disapproves of our promises,
all that it adorns itself with
is but pure vanity.
Its only reality
is the sorrow that devours it.

I despise its pride,
I consider its hatred an honor;
and I prefer my chains
to its spurious freedom.
O day of eternal celebration,
O day forever holy,
when, vowing myself to Carmel
I won the heart of God.

O beloved and precious bonds
I strengthen you each day;
all that the earth can offer me
is worthless in my eyes;
your sarcasm, worldlings,
compared to my joy
is a dead giveaway:
that joy outweighs all the cares
to which your soul is prey.
Read the whole story at ourgardenofcarmel.org

2 comments:

Fr. John Mary, ISJ said...

These beautiful souls have been my favorites for years. I was able to be present at the Met several years ago for "The Dialogue of the Carmelites" opera by Poulenc...so moving and inspiring!
Thank you for this post, Matt.

Badger Catholic said...

I'm so glad that there have been so many renditions of this story that it never be forgotten. If there was such a thing as beauty during the Revolution, this was it.