St Stanislaus, Winona, MN seeeking minor basillica status

St. Stanislaus Kostka
626 E. 4th St, Winona

With its red brick octagonal exterior supporting a tall, central white cupola, the striking design of St. Stanislaus Kostka paired with its Polish heritage make it an attractive stop for area tourists. The church was built in 1894-95, and it survived a powerful lightning strike in June 1966.

The steeple of the church is the highest point on the Winona cityscape. Because of its visibility, it’s often mistaken for the diocese’s cathedral. Parishioners at St. Stanislaus Kostka are working to have the Holy See declare it a minor basilica.
The Catholic Spirit

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a beautiful building.
I'd bet the maintenance is challenging...and expensive.

Badger Catholic said...

I'll get some more photos next time I'm in the area. It's a beautiful church and has not been destroyed like their Cathedral.

Anonymous said...

When I was on my quest to find the Winona Cathedral a few years ago, I first went to this church. Imagine my double disappointment when I found out it wasn't the Cathedral and the doors were locked up tight. Of course, I did manage to stumble across the actual Cathedral before the 'renovation'. I still have yet to see the Cathedral after the 'renovation'. The parish has a fall festival on Oct 24 that my family may go to. They have pictures at their website, but both of our cameras would take far superior pictures.

Anonymous said...

I made a mistake about the Fall Festival. St John's is Oct 24 at St Stanilaus church hall. St Stanilaus Fall Festival is Nov 21 on the Solemnity of Christ the King.