Bishop celebrates Catholic Holy Hour at Camp Randall in Madison

July 20, 1947
Four priests and Bishop William P. O'Connor at the Catholic Holy Hour, at Camp Randall Stadium at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. To the left of Bishop O'Connor is The Reverend Leonard Barney, Cuba City, and to his right is The Reverend Joseph Gabriels, Holy Redeemer Church, Madison. In the foreground are: The Reverend F.L. McDonnell, Mineral Point, Sub-Deacon, shown on the left, and The Reverend E.J. Beck, Janesville, Deacon, shown on the right.
Wisconsin Historical Society

Back when we had a civilization.  Can you image the response today!?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I don't even want to think about what would happen if this sort of thing happened today... There would probably be an assassination or something. :)

Unknown said...

I just noticed that I think the crosier he is using is the same one Bishop Morlino still uses on big feasts! Talk about cool! He's talked about it before, and if I remember, it was Bishop O'Connor's crosier.

Anonymous said...

The bishop looks in charge. Something modern prelates aren't.

LoveGodAndAsHeLoves said...

This is the third time the possibility of such a Camp Randall event has come to my attention. This is the first time I ever heard about it actually taking place! Thank you!