CatholicVote: Catholic Institutions Need More Vince Lombardis

Over the past few days, while political and religious analysts have written about Libya and the latest sex abuse scandals, I have thought about the success of Catholic high school sports coaches. On Saturday, my alma mater played in the California boys basketball championship. On Sunday on 60 Minutes, the legendary Bob Hurley of St. Anthony’s High School in Jersey City, New Jersey was profiled. Each of the schools graduates virtually all of their players, an achievement that in the case of St. Anthony’s, a school located in a black ghetto, is especially impressive. And based on initial signs, each of the teams say Catholic prayers and promote Church teachings in their programs.

The success of these two basketball programs cannot be attributed solely or even mainly to the great talent they attract. De La Salle’s team this year did not have a single player recruited by a Division I school. Although St. Anthony’s has had superior talent to De La Salle, certainly they are not a sports factory, a school defined solely by its record, as some high school basketball programs are.
Read the rest at Catholic Vote

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree the world needs more Lombardi's but I think you know not of what you speak given what you have on your blog. You'd picket him or worse because he was a Democratic liberal. He supported gays as he had a gay brother.
He was a wonderfully tolerant and compassionate man...not like you folks

Badger Catholic said...

Don't forget I'm anti-women(contraception) and anti-American(capitalism) too. I'm also anti-freedom(abortion) and yes anti-"tolerant" since I love people(you know, as Christ commanded) with same sex attraction instead of "tolerating" them. God's children need better than toleration, they need love.

Anonymous said...

What is love, baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more.