La Crosse diocese shakeup

I think this was announced in all parishes this weekend but 42 priests of the diocese will be moving to different assignments as of July 1st.  That has to be at least half the active priests.  We were told all the announcements will be in the next issue of The Catholic Times.  I heard a few very interesting appointments but not yet who the next rector of the Cathedral will be.  The pastoral plan for parish consolidation is being implemented so I'm not sure if those moves are being announced as well at this point or not. 

And yes I posted this from my cell...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The next rector of the Cathedral will be Fr. Charles Stoetzel, an excellent priest. Regarding the pastoral plan - it is not being implemented in the sense of combining parishes. The plan however was used to determine which parishes would be "clustered", that is - seperate parishes under one pastor. If you think that is just semantics you aren't the pastor who has to attend all of the meetings! :) The parishes may well, eventually, become one parish. For now however they are still separate parishes. By the way, I am the new pastor of St. Mary's Ridge, Cashton, and Norwalk.

Badger Catholic said...

Thanks Father, we are up north but were still able to drive back to the diocese for Mass yesterday. I should come up to meet you the old fashioned way one of these days! :) I see, so sharing a pastor but still separate parishes for everything else.

Anonymous said...

Moving half the priests in the diocese with 1 month's notice? That seems kind of Draconian?

Anonymous said...

Anon...My understanding is that this is a plan that has been in the works for a long time and was started when Bp Listeki first took over as the Bishop of LaCrosse. Fr Michael, please correct me if I am wrong...and I also look forward to meeting you at St Mary's Ridge sometime. That parish has a soft spot in my heart.