Laetificat: Capitol Rosary Rally featured in Wis. State Journal

The Wisconsin State Journal ran two articles by religion reporter Doug Erickson in yesterday’s Sunday edition, one on the Capitol Rosary Rally and one on Bishop Morlino’s defense of Paul Ryan as someone with a faithful understanding of Catholic social teaching. I was interviewed August 29th and my photo accompanies the Paul Ryan article in the print version. Doug Erickson approached me (and a few others) asking about Paul Ryan, and I said the rosary rally is not political and I will not talk about Ryan in connection with that, he said he was just looking for local Catholics, I agreed and we spoke off to the side. I’m quoted briefly in the article on Paul Ryan, for which Erickson also interviewed Bishop Morlino, and I’m happy to see Bishop Morlino’s teaching in the paper.

The Paul Ryan article is titled “Madison diocese defends Ryan’s faith” in the print version, and “Catholics find fault and blessing with Ryan’s politics” in the online version. The Rosary Rally article appears under the headline “Organizers say events not meant to be partisan” in the print version; online it is titled “‘Rosary rallies’ at Capitol thinly disguised GOP pep fests, critics say”. My impression of the articles was not very positive, especially under their online titles (the titles are not written by the reporter). But other rosary rally participants I’ve spoken with all basically liked the articles, or thought “they could have been much worse.” The consensus seemed to be they are fair and honest articles.
continue at Laetificat Madison

Very good read.  The only major locally owned paper in this state is the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel(to my knowledge) so many times they have to "sell" a story more than just report on it.  I don't think that's anything new to American journalism though.  And obviously just being locally owned doesn't mean that the paper is necessarily fair(but JS did endorse Walker). 

No comments: