Grovus Ordo


Now read Taylor Marshall's latest piece to get the reference
By now it's no secret that I attend the Latin Mass and that I am the Chancellor of a College that offers the Latin Mass seven days a week - Fisher More College. However, I've not always been partial to the Latin Mass. For a few years after my conversion to the Catholic Faith, I was cautiously curious about the the "old Mass." I perceived it as exotic, antiquarian, and even as a dangerous. Although I had some esteem for the "old liturgies," I was not convinced of the merits of the Latin Mass and the culture which, for better or worse, surrounds it.

My wife and I starting taking our family to the Latin Mass around Feast of the Ascension of 2010.  Before we made this move, however, I had some serious misgivings about the Latin Mass, which we also call the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite. Our concerns were some of the common concerns that others still have and voice regularly. I cannot speak for everyone, but I'd like to go through my own personal misgivings about the Latin Mass and then explain how I overcame them, or, to be blunt, learned to live with them.

What caused our family to make the move?
continue at Canterbury Tales

3 comments:

Cassandra said...


I've got a better one than Grover. I was at a Mass at Viterbo---yes, viterbo, penance for not getting to an earlier Mass--and the communion waitress had "LUTHER" blazoned across her sweatshirt. I am certain I was the only one there including the priest who considered how improper it was for the waitress to distribute commumion while touting the name of one the great heretics of the Church.

On a similar note, there's a new priest at the Newman Center who is a decided improvement over Fr. Pierce. I do wish, though, that he wouldn't let the Music Monsters sing "Christ has no body but yours" during th offertory. Not only is it heretical but incredibly ironic to put it between the Nicene Creed where we profess the bodily resurrection and the consecration where the priest makes Really Present the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Lord.

But hey, what can you really expect from a diocesan Mass these days?

M.K. Schumacher said...

On the other hand, I saw an EMHC used properly for the first time ever recently.

Bp Morlino said Mass for the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, and Msgr Holmes, rector of the Cathedral Parish, was seriously ill, and thus unable to assist at Mass as usual. (Happily, Msgr has since returned to good health.) So, Bp Morlino had no assisting priests, and no deacons either. When it came time for Communion, seeing that the Church was completely full, His Excellency deputed one of the altar servers -- a middle-aged man who has served at the Cathedral Parish for many years, and is widely known to be of upstanding moral character -- to help distribute Communion.

It was truly an extraordinary situation, as His Excellency almost never says a public Mass without assisting priests and/or deacons, and the good bishop selected a trustworthy man, already serving within the Sanctuary and properly vested in cassock and surplice, to help.

Badger Catholic said...

Cassandra, I find it interesting that the two worst places to attend Mass in La Crosse are at the colleges, the worst being the Catholic college.

Thanks for sharing Michael.