Fond Du Lac Man Survives Earthquake on Everest

Mary Sue Land, member of Holy Family Parish, was sleeping at her home in Fond du Lac on Saturday, April 25, when her neighbor sent her a text message around 6 a.m.

At the time she wondered, “Who in the heck is contacting me this early?”

Land’s cell phone was on the nightstand next to her bed.

“I keep my phone by me because when Andy (her husband) tries to get in touch with me it’s usually early morning our time because it’s evening their time,” Mary Sue said. “But I wasn’t anticipating I would hear from him because I had heard from him the day prior and he said they were heading up the mountain from base camp and I wouldn’t hear from him for five days.”

Mary Sue’s husband, Andy, 52, a passionate mountain climber and a nurse and director of Hospice and Palliative Care at Agnesian HealthCare in Fond du Lac, was in Nepal attempting to climb Mount Everest to raise awareness for hospice care. He left Wisconsin Wednesday, March 25, and was hoping to make it 29,000 feet to the top of Mount Everest on his trip which, according to his website, climbingforhospice.com, was to take two months.
continue at Milwaukee Catholic Herald

Also a radio interview(it's a bit choppy):

More at: Climbing for Hospice

No comments: