Letter: Save St. Boniface Church for Catholic services

Sorry, no April Fools here.
St. Boniface Catholic Church, Manitowoc, WI
via htrnews
Somehow the St. Patrick’s Day parade got away from me this year. Perhaps it was because in past years an evening Mass was held at St. Boniface Church and then the priests, in bishops’ attire, joined the parade festivities. It was fun — religious and jubilant.

I applaud that as a Manitowoc community will save a 1939 armory skating building. I do not applaud that as a Catholic Manitowoc community we will allow the desecration of St. Boniface, our mother church of 1853. St. Boniface needs to be open to Catholic masses and services, not made into apartments and office space. How was this decision reached with no input from the parishioners of St. Francis parish?

I urge you to write Bishop David Ricken regarding the destruction of our heritage of Catholic faith here in Manitowoc. If services were held at St. Boniface Church the people would come. I quote Matthew 19:26: “With God, all things are possible.”

Simply put, save St. Bonfiace Church.

Cecelia Maurer

Manitowoc
From 2012: Latin Mass attracts faithful to Manitowoc (offered by ICKSP from Green Bay)

The same paper gave a somewhat glowing story recently of the 'fantastic marriage' of the closure:  St. Boniface inspires transfer

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

BC, I live in Ireland - but would like to do all I can to help. Prayer of course, but does this wonderul witness to the Lord need other help? It is rather too nasty (and likely) to be a simple April Fools notion ..

Noel

(aka GBOP LHUA: God Bless Our Pope! Lord, help us all!)

Badger Catholic said...

Yes, unfortunately not an April Fools.

Anonymous said...

I do not live there. What is the reason given by the diocese for the closing and sale of the church?

Anne Bender said...

Manitowoc is my hometown. I attended a funeral at St. Boniface a few years ago, although now every church in Manitowoc is called St. Francis of Assisi. It's a beautiful church. So sad! The parish where I grew up is also closed. Things just aren't the same and never will be, I'm afraid. But, Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. We can take comfort in that!

Mommy May said...

I went to this church with my grandmother back in the 1990s. I'm going back with my son to Manitowoc to visit my father for his 80th birthday in a few weeks. Do you know if you can still get in to the church or is it locked up? It was the most beautiful church so sad they closed it.

Unknown said...

My name is John Schroeder and I live in Sarasota Fl. I recently learned that my Great Grand mother was Mary Peil brother of William J Peil Rev. Monsignior was pastor and builder of St. Bonafice Church from 1881-1934. If anyone has any original photos of this church I would be greatfull if you would email them to me.

Unknown said...

John,

I grew up attending St. Boniface until the parishes in Manitowoc merged. I may be able to track some pictures down for you. What's your email address?

Pax,

Paul
pschweigl@roncallijets.net

Unknown said...

Hi John, did you ever get the photos of St. Boniface Church that you were looking for?