Civil War veterans honored with historical marker on Gettysburg anniversary at Milwaukee Calvary Cemetery
The historical sign was placed at the landmark 1897 Gothic Revival gatehouse, at the entrance to the cemetery at 5503 W. Bluemound Road. Archbishop Jerome Listecki delivered the dedication invocation. Listecki is also a retired United States Army Reserve Chaplain, lieutenant colonel. Calvary is a Milwaukee Archdiocesan cemetery that was consecrated in 1857, by the Most Reverend John Martin Henni, first archbishop of Milwaukee. The dedication included reenactors who participated in the ceremony wearing Civil War era regulation uniforms or period attire. A rifle salute and playing of Taps concluded the ceremony.