The Milwaukee "Catholic" Herald?

I'm reliably informed that the "Catholic" Herald of Milwaukee ran an advertisement for Senator Partial-Birth-Abortion[not to mention infanticide] Feingold.

I think that's called blood money, and there's a place for it: Haceldema
And a commenter
There was a message right above the ad saying something to the effect that if they accepted political ads from anyone, they were required by law to accept political ads from everyone.

Given that that's the only political ad I've ever seen in the Herald, it's not much of an excuse.
Dad29

If anyone could scan a picture and send it in I will post it. 

I see this curious tidbit on the Herald's website:
Let the Catholic Herald and chnonline.org help you win your next election.

Call:
Mary (414) 769-3473
Rich (414) 769-3470
Steve (608) 821-3074

Affordable. Effective. The Catholic Herald and chnonline.org.

8 comments:

Anne said...

I was so disgusted by this ad, I may have to cancel my subscription. My son and I worte letters of complaint to the editor, and we received a message back telling us that the Catholic Herald 'solicited' advertisements from the candidates, and Ron Johnson declined the offer. Whatever happened to separation of church and state? It's all about the mighty dollar, isn't it? How totally "unCatholic"!

Badger Catholic said...

Yeah, my thought was it was all about the advertising money. Maybe it is politically motivated too, but I am not familiar with the staff there. Really diocesan papers do not exist because of the money they bring in but because of the service they provide the people. They wouldn't stay afloat without diocesan support. Anne, if it were my diocese I'd do the same thing. I think that is despicable.

Dad29 said...

The CH claims that it must accept advertising from ALL if it accepts advertising from ANY.

Simple.

Do not accept any at all.

But hey! That would mean they're exercising discretion and common sense.

Badger Catholic said...

Common sense seems to be in short supply these days... :\

Kat said...

FYI, the Milwaukee Catholic Herald, just like the Madison CH and the Superior CH, are a separate organization that is supported by subscriptions and advertising ... and like at any publication, subscriptions don't pay much of the bills. However, even though they're not a diocesan org, their executive publisher IS Archb. Listecki, so my recommendation is to send a letter or complain. He has the power to say no to all political advertising. It's been a longstanding tradition for the MCH to accept political ads, but it can easily be changed.

And I can confirm -- Feingold was the only politician to place an advert in the MCH. It wasn't an endorsement; just an ad.

Anne said...

There were more ads in yesterday's issue, but I believe they were all pro-life candidates. A copy of my second letter of complaint to the editor will be posted on my blog today.

Kat said...

Yes, Anne -- I do apologize. My source did say there were four political adverts. What I understand is that Feingold was the only state ad from a politician, however. Was that incorrect?

Anne said...

No Kat, I believe that is right. I have never heard of the other politicians who advertised, and Brian Olszewski, the editor of the MCH, told me that Ron Johnson declined the Catholic Herald's solicitation to advertise with them.