3,000 attend Feast of the Assumption Mass at the Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help

Mary Mancoske has attended the annual Mass to celebrate the Feast of the Assumption of Mary at the Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help since 1958. And Monday’s ceremony was on par with the rest.

“It was just wonderful,” the Greenleaf native said.

Mancoske was concerned that the shrine’s newfound fame could dilute its sanctity.

“I just hope it doesn’t ruin the sacredness and get too commercial,” she said.

The small shrine gained international attention in December when the Catholic Diocese of Green Bay — with approval from the Vatican — officially recognized it as a site where the Virgin Mary had appeared. It’s the first and only such site in the United States.

An estimated 3,000 visitors gathered on the lawn outside the chapel on Monday to take part in the annual celebration that pays tribute to the Roman Catholic belief that the body of Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ, ascended into heaven along with her spirit. That’s more than twice as many as last year, when 1,200 people attended.
more at GB PG

I relayed a story that back in the day, the Shrine would have upwards of 10,000 people show up for devotionals on the feast day.  It looks like we might be on a return swing. 

Originally I was going to take my family up to the shrine for the Assumption Feast but work is too busy right now to take time off.  For any new readers, I'm a database programmer by trade.  I work for the largest software company in the world that you've never heard of.  I haven't got asked in a while, but no, I don't work for the diocese.  Folks who like traditional liturgy, are anti-contraception, like technology, and are not afraid to talk about any of it are more likely to end up in the nuthouse than in a diocese(I'm slightly joking).  But I digress.

Here's a video from Fox 11


3 comments:

Badger Catholic said...

I'm sassy folks, don't take it personally. :)

Dad29 said...

in the nuthouse than in a diocese

There's a difference?

Badger Catholic said...

ROFL!!!