Alright, so how did it go with the new translation?

I was at Mass at St. Felix Parish in Wabasha, MN - yes, it was the ordinary form.  Some good catechesis was given before Mass by the priest there - briefly talking about the types of prayer.

...By the way, if you are close enough, I would highly recommend this parish.  They have a great new priest, Fr. Thomas Cook, and the building is beautiful.  If it wasn't so far away we would think about joining....  We were happy to find a good parish near the in-laws home.  In the past we would sometimes drive all the way home(an hour) for Mass. 

To digress a bit more, we have been parish shopping.  We love our Friars, but you may know that the Guadalupe Shrine is not a parish, so they do not do Baptisms, First Communion, etc.  We are at the Cathedral in La Crosse currently.  Our Cathedral has a great music program but I guess I was expecting this Cathedral to eventually develop into a parish like Madison's Cathedral parish.  It just doesn't seem to be happening - and honestly, I'm only one dude.  If there were a bunch of dudes all with the same vision and wanted to work toward it, that would be different.  Well there's a lot of work for the 150th anniversary so we wouldn't move along until all of that had been completed.  Would it be weird to join Madison while living in La Crosse?  LOL!  I am hoping to post on this some more, maybe with some of your input we can create a description of an ideal parish - but I've got some projects I'm working on that need my attention.   

Well so back to the translation.  I think the hardest part is the "And with your spirit."  It's everywhere, right?  But I think it's safe to say that it is much improved.  I was curious what the folks who were not as familiar with all the details thought.  Still, I think the overuse of English even with the new translation is still a negative.  I want it both ways, accessible and traditional.  I had to serve this morning for daily Mass and let me tell you that was interesting.  6:30 a.m. and I have to use my brain already! 

I would recommend Jimmy Akin's post The Four Liturgists of the Apocalypse.  Haha, very good stuff.  And it would seem one Milwaukee woman is refusing to "learn the damn prayers."

Anywho, so how did it go out there in Sconnieland and beyond?  Did you hear grumblings?  Praises?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It went very well here in rural Wisconsin at St. Patrick's in Cottage Grove, other than the congregation sounded like (as a friend put it) "The tower of babel."

But other than the jumbled responses, it was a very positive implementation.

To be honest, I don't blame the people in the pews. I thought I prepared myself quite well, and when it came to the "big" stuff like the confetior, creed, domine non sum dignus, and the like, iand I even had the missal in front of me the whole time, but still when he said "the lord be with you" and straight away, I ended up saying something like "and also with and your spirit you...." Dang habits. :)

Hopefully it'll be better at Mass tomorrow.

But take note: the world didn't end, no matter what the National Catholic Distorter and their latin-wiz-quazi-heretical-theologian teen said.

Cheryl said...

It went pretty well in Central Wisconsin at Sts. Peter & Paul in Wisc. Rapids. It seemed as if those seated around me were doing their best to follow along (in the missalette or with the pew cards.) I think we (as a Parish) were well informed of and well prepared for the changes, which helped immensely. [It also helped that this 7am Mass regularly uses many Latin responses...helped because (1)the Latin hadn't chnaged, and (2)some are used to being lost anyway ;-]

Anonymous said...

Why not try...
St. Mary's Latin Mass Community
Institute of Christ the King
@ Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish
St. Mary's Ridge,Cashton,WI.

Badger Catholic said...

Thank you all for your feedback. Anon, that is an option we are exploring.

Badger Catholic said...

I heard my first consubstantial complaint today.

Anonymous said...

I have four children and am praying the 54 Day Rosary Novena for them to return to the Faith/Mass. Please offer up anything difficult at Mass for those who have left the Faith/Mass. Thank you and God bless you!