From the archives: Milwaukee priest celebrated Mass, dressed as a clown

Article is from the archives of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Essentially, the associate pastor dressed as a clown for a Mass for St. Agnes Catholic Church, which is located in Butler, Wis.. Thirteen girls, also dressed as clowns, can be seen in the photo and acted as servers. The incident took place in 1984 [Orwell, anyone?!]. You can view what remains of the article here.

I should note I have never been to this parish, nor can I offer any comment as to how the parish is today.

HT an anonymous friend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mass of Paul VI was promulgated in 1969, a mere 15 years before this photo was taken. This priest, and all the parents of this kids would have been formed in the pre-Vatican II church. I can never understand this.

Ruth said...

It has always seemed to me that if people's faith was so strong before Vatican II they would not have so easily succumbed to any wrong notions promulgated after Vatican II. It all happened too quickly, so there must have already been problems. I'm no theologian and can't say just why, but I hope some day we will understand why, or at least get past it. There are good things beginning to happen, and I wish I could live to see the fruit.