Joseph the Workman or Worker?

One thing I have always been grateful for is that the La Crosse Cathedral did not feminize the name of "Workman" versus "Worker."  Yeah, it just semantics, but considering the whole communist "liberation of women" thing, it seems good to take a traditional approach to labor.

Vladimir Lenin on the liberation of women:
"Women's incipient social life and activities must be promoted, so that they can outgrow the narrowness of their philistine, individualistic psychology centred on home and family ... In the sphere of sexual relations and marriage, a revolution is approaching ... There can be no real mass movement without the women ... We cannot exercise the dictatorship of the proletariat without having millions of women on our side. Nor can we engage in communist construction without them. We must find a way to reach ... the mass of women, who feel themselves exploited, enslaved and crushed by the domination of the men ... They should all know that the proletarian dictatorship will mean to them complete equality of rights with men, both legal and in practice, in the family, the state and in society, and that it also spells the annihilation of the power of the bourgeoisie ... The government of the proletarian dictatorship - jointly with the Communist Party and the trade unions of course - makes every effort to overcome the backward views of men and women and thus uproot the old, non-communist psychology.
Holy Family
It goes without saying that men and women are absolutely equal before the law. A sincere desire to give effect to this equality is evident in all spheres. We are enlisting women to work in the economy, the administration, legislation and government. All courses and educational institutions are open to them, so that they can improve their professional and social training. We are organising community kitchens and public dining-rooms, laundries and repair shops, crêches, kindergartens, children’s homes and educational institutions of every kind. In brief, we are quite in earnest about carrying out the requirements of our programme to shift the functions of housekeeping and education from the individual household to society. Woman is thus being relieved from her old domestic slavery and all dependence on her husband. She is enabled to give her capabilities and inclinations full play in society. Children are offered better opportunities for their development than at home. We have the most progressive female labour legislation in the world, and it is enforced by authorised representatives of organised labour. We are establishing maternity homes, mother-and-child homes, mothers’ health centres, courses for infant and child care, and the like. 
  St Joseph the Workman, ora pro nobis!


Source

3 comments:

Al said...

St. Joseph the Workman? Where did LaCrosse come up with that? It is the only place I have ever heard of that uses that title. I have always understood that the official title of the feast for today is St. Joseph the Worker, which is how I have always known it, even in my youth in the 60s.

Badger Catholic said...

Al, I think that is what is listed in the liturgical calendar.

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=7970

I'd have to find the Latin of the 1955 decree to say for sure I guess. If you know where I can find it can you send it to me?

Al said...

After I got off the computer I went to Knippel's Religious Goods on lower Main in DBQ.(http://knippelsreligiousgoods.com/)
I knew Casey had several of the 1962 missals as well as the 1966 English translation of the revised TLM that was approved by the Vatican.
The 62 missal said St. Joseph the Workman, the 66 missal said St. Joseph the Worker.
I know that in Italian worker & workman are the same word. But I think the Latin is different.
I haven't been able to find the decree on line either to check it out.
Since I don't remember hearing anything about the feast when I was a young child before 65, like I said, I always heard the term worker. I just assumed that the reason that word was used was because of why the feast began, to counter communist use of May Day & the fact that they used the term workers. So I thoughtusing worker for St. Joseph was meant to explain the proper role of a worker.