Fond du Lac priest involved with Rachel's Vineyard dies in bike accident

Fond du Lac - A priest who was riding a bicycle was struck and killed by a vehicle just before 8 p.m. Wednesday as he tried to cross the Highway 151 Bypass on the Prairie Trail, the Fond du Lac Reporter reports.

Fr. Victor Capriolo of Holy Family Catholic Community parish was struck by a southbound vehicle driven by a 74-year-old Fond du Lac woman at the Bypass and Highway WH in the town of Taycheedah, according to the Fond du Lac County Sheriff's office.

Capriolo, 67, was pronounced dead at the scene.

His death was announced at a Mass at Holy Family Church Thursday morning, the newspaper reported.

Capriolo had served at Immaculate Conception in Milwaukee, St. Joseph Church in Grafton, St. Monica in Whitefish Bay, Holy Trinity in Milwaukee and St. Bernard in Wauwatosa, the newspaper said.
continue at JS

He was involved with Rachel's Vineyard which gives healing and support to post-abortive women.

from Rachel's Vineyard:
Fr. Victor Capriolo
Expertise: Pastoral ministry

Father Vic Capriolo of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee has thirty-five years of experience in parish ministry and one year as spiritual director to college seminarians. He is an on-call pastor for Milwaukee’s Project Rachel.
Hmm, an angry commenter found this old post where Fr. Capriolo seemed to support women ordination.   As always, prayers. 

3 comments:

Kat said...

Angry anony got one thing right, at least: we should hope that "God be more merciful than you can imagine." Because, frankly, my imagination is pretty darn awesome, but not even a fraction as awesome as God is -- and we all will need his mercy when we get to the judgement, because we're all sinners.

I also pray for the little old lady who hit him. She's got to be in a lot of spiritual and emotional pain right now.

Anonymous said...

(Brian from Illinois): I am praying for the repose of his soul, and for his grieving Parishoners. Please pray also for the Priest who will take his place at Holy Family Parish in Fond Du Lac (the largest Parish in the state of Wisconsin) and for the Milwaukee Archdiocese. The Archdiocese is already suffering from a severe Priest shortage, and this doesn't help anything. :( Also, as far as Father Capriolo possibly advocating women's ordination, I will leave that to God and his Mercy. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace, amen!

Alive in HOPE! said...

I didn't know Fr. Capriolo, except that he baptized my husband's Godson. I'm glad I didn't read the rantings of any angry soul because my heart goes out to this priest (and all priests). They are human and, like each one of us, they are at a different place along the journey of faith. Only God knows where each heart is at in that last moment and so we trust... I didn't always believe as I do today. I struggled and wondered about many things. God met me where I was and brought me home. He does this for each one of us, in His time and in a way known only to Him. I pray that Fr. Capriolo will rest in the eternal peace of our Heavenly Father.

http://www.alive-in-hope.blogspot.com/2010/12/prayer-for-priests.html