Heretic Friday

On the way back from Good Help, I made my last trip to the Necedah Shrine.  A friend and I stopped in.  There was no one there, except for maybe the children of the corn.  We quickly made our way through to grab some photos.  I added them to my previous photos on Flickr(I need to get that sidebar thingy for Flickr working again).  I just wanted to see if that base structure was for a church.  It turns out yes, they were at some point building a church, right next to the "apparition" site.  For the record, the Diocese of La Crosse found these 1950s visions to be fake and after Mary Ann Van Hoof persisted, they put her(and six followers) under interdict.  Even with no one there, it was creepy.... very creepy.  The little grottos spread across the grounds were interesting, the glass casing made pictures very difficult.  I told my friend that our guardian angels were telling us to get the heck out of there.


Groto of supposed vision of Mary Ann Van Hoof


It looks like nobody's done anything with this for some time


Yes.... Sacred Spot-Place of Apparition.  The flickr album has a close up of the text

3 comments:

Steve said...

Visitors are placed under a general interdict, Broseph. Watch yourself.

Kat said...

For taking photos through glass, get a circular polarizer. It helps eliminate the glare in the same way that polarized sunglasses block UV rays. I'm pretty sure it also helps block heretical thoughts.

Just in case, you know, for whatever reason you had some weird urge to document the crazy Necedahns again.

Badger Catholic said...

ROFL! thanks Kat.

Steve, you frightened me enough to verify, and I am not under interdict for visiting.