Minnesota hockey Olympian connects faith and competition

ST. CLOUD, Minn. — In the midst of final preparations for the Olympics, U.S. women’s hockey player Anne Schleper said faith definitely plays a role in her games.

In an interview three weeks before the opening ceremony of the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, Schleper, a Catholic who is a native of St. Cloud, said it would be easy to idolize the evaluation of her coaches or a potential medal around her neck.

But she is humbled to remind herself that she plays to glorify God.

“I wouldn’t be following his will if I wasn’t inviting him to the rink also,” said the 23-year-old, an alumna of Cathedral High School and St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School in St. Cloud.

“Life goes too fast to try and please another human or to work tirelessly for an item that will eventually perish,” she told The Visitor, newspaper of the St. Cloud Diocese. “There is freedom in my life and in my play when I fix my eyes on Jesus and not on this world.”
continue at SupCH

No comments: