CatholicMom: Catholic Techie Matt Korger

Sarah contacted me a while back for this interview and I almost forgot about it!  CatholicMom.com has done a round of Catholic Techie Interviews, yours truly being the latest edition.  I see the great Jeff Miller is also on the list(and is the only other stacher as of the latest installment).  They've got a nice site over there, worth checking out, ... it's similar to what I'd like to do with the BC eventually, have many contributors from all around the state, lively discussion on the things affecting us in the Kingdom of Wisconsin.  .... right after I finish my new parish's website I suppose.
“Some of my basic work is just creation of websites,” wrote Matt Korger when I asked him about what he does as a Catholic Techie, and then the website he pointed me to was his Knights of Columbus council (isn’t it beautiful?).  [whoops! Haven't updated that one this year yet] “Some of the other work is “back end” work. I’m a database programmer by trade.  What might surprise readers is that most website pages are actually saved in a database, not as a static html file.”

Did you know that? No? Well, join the club. (If you did know it, just pipe down. No need to be a smarty pants.)

Matt continued (and I’m sharing it here as a Near Occasion of Educating More than Just Myself):
So when a parish is looking to go to a more “web 2.0″ then need to find a way to take all their old legacy content and import it into a more modern and manageable system.  I’m not great at graphic design or anything like that, so, unlike many of the excellent Catholic techies out there, a guy like me is a little more boring but necessary.  Like I say often, though, when I’m working on a parish website, it is much more about how a parish can connect with their members than figuring out what color a certain menu option is (which can sometimes be discussed ad infinitum).
Like many Catholic Techies, Matt dabbles in blogging, and you’ll find him at The Badger Catholic.
Now, let’s get into the fun…
continue at CatholicMom.com

No comments: