Photos: Cathédrale Saint-Michel de Carcassonne

If you've been frequenting the Badger Catholic lately, you've seen I've been posting photos from some pretty beautiful pilgrimage sites I was blessed to visit this past summer. Next on the list is the Cathédrale Saint-Michel de Carcassonne.

Carcassonne is a pretty interesting town in Southern France. It was once a stronghold for the Cathars--an interest sect of ascetic heretics from the middle ages. Like all heresies, it eventually died, and the cathedral is gorgeous.
Laura and I in front of the cathedral. This might be our only picture from France where nobody in the background is holding a baguette. 

Stunning beyond words







I can't remember who, but there's a bishop buried near the alter.


Pieta

More of the stained glass windows

Rose window


A history of the local diocese



St. Dominic preached here in 1213--in the midst of the Cathar heresy.

Statue of St. Dominic

I lit a devotional candle for my Godson Dominic

No comments: