A 112-year-old former Catholic school in Milwaukee's Bay View neighborhood later used to house nonprofit groups will be demolished and replaced with a new convent.
Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi will develop the new building on the site of the now-closed Marian Center for Nonprofits, 3195 S. Superior St., the order has announced. The property is on the Milwaukee-St. Francis border.
The Marian Center originally was St. Mary’s Academy, a Catholic girls high school which opened in 1904 and closed in 1991.
The new three-story convent will provide apartments for 80 nuns and office space for the order.continue at JS