Fanatic Friday: Hurt edition

A repost
In 1994 a band by the name of Nine Inch Nails came out with a song called Hurt which discusses themes of heroin addiction and self-hurt.

When Trent Reznor(Nine Inch Nails) was asked if Cash could cover his song in 2002, Reznor said he was "flattered" but worried that "the idea sounded a bit gimmicky." He became a fan of Cash's version, however, once he saw the music video.
I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore... It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning — different, but every bit as pure.[4]

71 years of age at the time of filming (in February 2003), Cash had serious health problems and his frailty is starkly evident in the video. He died seven months later (September 12);[6] his wife, June Carter Cash, who participated in the video, died three months after filming (May 15), closely preceding him in death.


Details from Wikipedia

No comments: