Mystery La Crosse church

Got this email:
I found you through your blog at http://badgercatholic.blogspot.com/2010/11/happy-feast-day-to-st-jehosaphat-in.html  and thought that you might be able to identify the church in the photo that I have attached.   On the back of the photo in my mother's handwriting it says "La Crosse, Wisc."  In someone else's handwriting it says, "Our Church, Xmas 1937."  My mother's parents did not live in La Crosse at that time, but had lived at 1611 Wood St. until the early 1900s.
Thanks for any information that you may be able to provide.
This could be Holy Trinity or a parish that has closed like Saint Wenceslaus or the old St Mary's..  Anyone know for sure?  Would anybody like to attend Mass here if this church still existed??  Some of the La Crosse history can be found here.  (Yeah, yeah, I'm still working on the design for the website).

UPDATE: St John the Baptist Catholic Church

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's our parish Church, St. James the Less. It has to be. Too many similarities. And yes we DO like attending Mass there. Beautiful Church still...and beautiful liturgy.

Badger Catholic said...

The reason I don't think it's St James is because this photo shows no side altars prior to 1952:

http://www.saintjameschurch.net/images/Prior1952.jpg

My spidey sense tells me it is the now closed St John's church which was the German parish. I'll post an update once I can confirm.

Anonymous said...

Looking at the photo posted and a photo of the interior of St. James the Less, it is definately NOT the same church. St. James the Less is Romanesque throughout, while the one posted is Gothic throughout. Please do let us know if this church still exists!

Badger Catholic said...

James, I should note that if it is indeed St. John's, the church was demolished in the 1970s.

Anonymous said...

This church is not St. Mary's, St. James, St. Wenceslaus, or Holy Trinity (which is still open. This is St. John the Baptist on the North Side of the City of La Crosse and has unfortunately been razed.