On parents, dying and being "too busy"

Recently I attended a funeral Mass for the mother of a good friend. This woman was a lifelong Catholic and instilled a love of the faith in her two sons.

In the priest's homily, he shared an anecdote about the family that I found very touching. The woman couldn’t sleep at the end, so one of her sons would stay at the hospice all night and pray the rosary with her. At the very end, when she couldn’t speak but she still couldn’t sleep, he would just pray with her over and over. I thought that was really beautiful.

How many of us would say, wow, I hope I could be there for my parents in a similar fashion... but then "life" gets in the way? I'm sure it wasn't fun for her son to be there, night after night, as his mother lay dying. And I'm sure there were many sleepless nights involved. But I would rather sacrifice a little sleep with the knowledge I was there with my parent to the end.

Our Lady made 15 promises to the children at Fatima for those who pray the rosary with devotion. Read about the origin of the rosary here.

- Virginia


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"How many of us would say, wow, I hope I could be there for my parents in a similar fashion... but then "life" gets in the way"

.....oh....I admit I probably would say that - but thanks for reminding me - I do NOT want to, and I think I won't!