Interview: What drives a retired firefighter, diagnosed with Stage Four brain cancer, to sidewalk counsel

From Pro-Life Wisconsin:

This past Saturday, February 4, sidewalk counselors in Milwaukee had a save. This is only one of many saves of 2012, but each of these saves has its own story.

Photo, Mareza with baby Joseph, one of the saves of 2011.

I’m always touched by the reasons people have for sidewalk counseling and praying outside abortion mills. One of the sidewalk counselors, Joe, who was responsible for the save, has Stage Four brain cancer, but that doesn’t slow him down.

Here is what Joe has to say, in his own words:

I was diagnosed with brain cancer in November 2011, after having retired from the Milwaukee Fire Department in September after 31.5 years of service. Since then, I’ve been going through radiation and chemotherapy, and soon to come, a clinical trial at Rush Medical Center in Chicago. I’ve sidewalk counseled/prayed in front of the abortion mill on Farwell perhaps a few times a year for past 4-5 years, but have grown to a more committed presence during the 40 Days for Life campaigns.

I’ve always been pro-life, and saving mothers and babies is vital work. The sidewalk is the place for that work.

It is the last front line to try to turn a woman around.

I’ve been extraordinarily Blessed in my illness. I had surgery in November for tumor removal, and they were able to get all of it. These particular tumors recur however, but that is what the radiation and chemo is for, as well as the clinical trail in Chicago. I had no neurological deficits from the surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation, or any other negative effects, by the Grace of God.

It was always my intention that in retirement, I’d be able to give more time to volunteer oppor-tunities, especially the sidewalk. God wants me there, and I’ll be there as often as I can. And I’d like to encourage all to come down to the mill, witness the evil, and act/pray to end it. We speak to women with dignity and respect, we encourage, offer support, alternatives, and prayer. Each time there, it is an emotional, spiritual experience. I highly recommend it.

No comments: