Marathon WI Catholic Church - 1913 - update



Wisconsin Historical Society

Was hoping to find pictures of today's church but this is all I could find.
Update: The resourceful Steve Kuhl found me the correct parish website.
Dude, you give up too easily.
Photos of the current interior are at:
The newly wreckovated church building was dedicated in June of 1994.
Not the worst wreckovation I've seen.  I mean the chairs could be moved.  There are also chairs on the back side?  Maybe a perpetual adoration "chapel"?  The old ambo is just fantastic, how could someone get rid of that?  Looks like the side altars were axed too.  Something tells me I need to setup voting when I do these.  Like 10 is "temple to Gaia," and 1 is "Okay, but could we bring back the communion rail?"

We'll start in the middle. 
+1 for each side altar taken out(x2),
+1 for removing a perfect ambo(I could go +2 but I don't know the details, maybe already removed),
but -1 for leaving high altar(albeit slightly modified). 
I'd say this is about a 7.

Go ahead and vote in the comment box.  I could be swayed a little here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just know that the interior has probably been gutted.
Like almost all Catholic Churches in America.
What a disaster.

Unknown said...

I really detest carpet in the sanctuary. Reminds me of a living room...in front of the tv, waiting to be entertained. Hmmm... that sounds like a William Carlos Williams poem. Maybe I should revisit that...can't be any weirder than some of the Hillaire Belloc poems that we're reading for Chesterton next time. With my row-ti-tow, ti-oodly-ow. OOps...did I just write that?

Badger Catholic said...

LOL!

Kat said...

Will you out me as a heretic if I say I don't mind carpet in a church? Yes, I think it's more hideous than, say, marble, and I would vastly prefer the chancel itself to be uncarpeted, but I do like it when most of the nave IS carpeted. It's quite nice to come to Mass before/after/during work and not have to click my way up the aisle and into the pew. Heels on non-carpeted areas are not exactly subtle, especially if the church is nicely designed for maximum acoustics. I actually consider, in those cases, being a back-pew Catholic.

Badger Catholic said...

I could go either way on carpet really, even in the sanctuary, depending on the quality of the floors, ect. Like the last picture above; it bothers me more that they rounded off the sanctuary than the carpet or its color. Now rugs I think are even better, you can find quite elegant rugs out there. The right kind of rug could actually enhance a church.

Badger Catholic said...

BTW Kat, it appears there is a runner going down the center isle in the top photo from 1913. :)