MJS: New converts join Catholic Church at Easter vigil in Milwaukee

The numbers suggest that, even in these difficult times - as the church struggles with declining enrollments and the continued fallout from the sex abuse scandal - it holds something true and abiding for many who seek it there.

"I'm hoping it will better my life," said Young, who was baptized with her two children during the Easter vigil. All the other candidates had been baptized previously. They, like Young, were confirmed and received the Holy Eucharist for the first time Saturday.

All Saints' converts have come from a variety of backgrounds: Some are truly newcomers from other faith traditions. Others were raised Catholic but had fallen away.

A few, including 30-year-old Young, came looking for refuge from the troubles in her life. The young wife and mother of two, who'd emigrated from Uganda at the age of 9, has lived in fear in recent years that she could be deported. When it weighed on her, Young said, she would remember her late mother, who raised her as a Catholic.

"I'd think, 'OK, what would my mom say?' She'd say, 'Pray more. Go to church,' " said Young. "And once I got to church, I knew it would not be complete until I got baptized."
MJS

A nice writeup .... if I didn't have to read the phrase "spiritual energy" I would be raving.  This bit below almost looks like someone else inserted it into an otherwise fine article.
Many of the converts say they are drawn by the spiritual energy and ministries at All Saints, where Diederichs emphasizes participation - in worship, as well as the many outreach programs that serve the surrounding community.
Apparently some priests discourage participation in worship(as well as outreach programs).

But for whatever reason this did call to mind my favorite liturgical quote of all time:
....[Polka Mass dude] argues that the exuberant polka music motivates participants to "worship more vigorously."
ROFL!  "Worship more vigorously" always makes me think of Christopher Walken in this Fatboy Slim video.

Hmm, I really got off topic there.  Vigorously off topic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All that Easter candy + little sleep = off topic fun!