Chaput appointment confirms Burke’s role as the Pope’s trusted man in the US

The nomination of Charles Chaput, Native American bishop from Denver, to the Archdiocese of Philadelphia confirms Raymond Leo Burke, prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura, as Benedict XVI’s top advisor in the United States. One of the first signs of his role as a bridge between the influential United States Conference of Bishops and the pontifical apartment was the appointment of Timothy Michael Dolan as successor to Cardinal Edward Egan in New York.

Dolan, who is currently conducting a vigorous and efficient battle against the increasingly anti-Catholic positions of the New York Times (which a few months ago refused to publish his reply to a polemical article against the Church) is certainly in sympathy with Burke, and with the American bishops who must face new initiatives from the Obama presidency every day. 

But someone (or Someone with a capital “S”) in the Vatican holds the frankness and clarity of vision of the head of the Vatican Supreme Court, in high esteem.

Someone knows - and benefits from - his deep knowledge of people and things overseas, and his ability to identify solutions in terms of candidates for dioceses that are gradually freeing themselves, in a Church still shaken by the financial and public relations aftershocks of the paedophilia scandal.

Charles Chaput was initially supposed to be appointed as Archbishop of Chicago, replacing the ill Cardinal George in the great lakeside diocese. But fortunately, the head of the diocese still feels able to manage his role with dignity and efficiency, when his illness is not acting up. Thus it is not at all certain when he will need to be replaced.

This uncertainty has not escaped many in the Curia: it is believed, especially by Burke, that Chaput will shortly be assured a diocese that will rather rapidly (some sources say a Consistory will be held at the end of this year or the beginning of the next) win him the cardinal’s berretta.

According to rumours flying around, behind the Leonine Wall during John Paul II’s pontificate, and in the first years of Benedict XVI’s pontificate, one of the great “puppeteers” of the appointment of overseas bishops was the current prefect of the Pontifical Household, Archbishop James Michael Harvey. He seems to still be hanging onto the role, but - if one believes certain sources – it has been greatly reduced with the arrival of Raymond Leo Burke. The next few months brings a deadline for many American bishops; then we will see what influence the new prefect for bishops - Canadian Marc Ouellette - and Burke himself will have in changing the episcopal face of the Stars and Stripes.
full article at Vatican Insider

My understanding is that "puppeteer" is meant as a compliment.

HT ED 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cardinal Burke will be the next Pope. You can see it lining up this way.
What a historic event for La Crosse and Wisconsin.

Anonymous said...

Actually, recommending Ordinaries for arch/dioceses involves many people - the most important one being the Apostolic Nuncio of whatever country he is in service to the Pope and the Church.

I have only recently come across your blog, therefore, I am not familiar with its readership. However, I am amazed at how many blogs go on about their respect and admiration of Cardinal Burke (as do I), yet go on to put down the Holy Fathers, the Church, Vatican II, etc. Cardinal Burke has a deep love for all three. I think many do not know the good Cardinal, but are fans of his because of his stand on the Latin Mass. For him, he does not see a "Latin Mass vrs. vernacular Mass, nor a nostalgic preference for preVatican II vrs. Vatican II. I have read in other blogs shameful statements such as "Vatican II sucks." Classy! and it is diabolical. Ask Cardinal Burke youself if he thinks Vatican II "sucks" or that is was truly a work of the Holy Spirit.

It will be a great interest to me if this blogger decides to publish this comment. Thank you.

V. Double

Badger Catholic said...

Dear Anon2;

I didn't write the article. It is from a website called Vatican Insider. I post articles not to confirm or deny what they are saying, but because they are of interest.

Since it sounds like you want to accuse me of something, I'd ask you to be specific and quote me where you are in disagreement. It sounds like you are saying participation or promotion of the Traditional Latin Mass is shameful because it "sucks" and that Cardinal Burke perhaps agrees with you despite participating in so many traditional liturgies. Have you read Summorum Pontificum? I'm happy to dialog here but frankly I think you are being flippant.

Because you have "read in other blogs shameful statement", obviously I can't speak to that.

Anonymous said...

Dear Badger Catholic,
I am so grateful that you wrote back so that I can clarify what I meant. Perhaps I was not as clear in my writing as I was in my thoughts. First of all, I was not accusing you of anything. I, too, have a great respect for Cardinal Burke. My statements were not directed to your posting. My statements were directed to responders of other "Latin Mass" blogs. Various blogs carry positive postings of Cardinal Burke and is held in great admiration - as he should be. But when I read the comments by some readers, I am appalled and deeply saddened by statements such as "Vatican II sucks!" Or, "Vatican II was diabolical." I have even read a few putting down Pope John Paul II and our present Holy Father, Pope Benedict.

The very cardinal who is held in esteem because of his support of the Traditional Latin Mass, loves the Church, the Holy Fathers and is quite confident that Vatican II was Holy Spirit driven. Granted, many practices done by some clergy, religious AND lay persons were NOT Holy Spirit driven.

I hope this has been clarifying. Please respond if something is not clear. Thank you and God bless you.

V. Double "Anon2"

Badger Catholic said...

V. Double, thank you for the clarification. I will follow up with a post.

SJ: Get out the guilituine! Burn him in effigy! It doesn't matter to pro-aborts what the Pope thinks.