Go Brewers!

MJS: Celebrating the final out, a group of nuns enjoy the Milwaukee Brewers sweep of the Washington Nationals on May 25.
Credit: Tom Lynn
Badger Catholic naming his next child T. Plush?


The Brewers are in first place in the division(tied).  The closed out the first half of the season with a dramatic 9th inning come from behind victory against the Cincinnati Reds. 

It's hard to explain but I am more of a Brewers fan than a Packers fan.  Growing up, baseball was thee sport.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not jettisoning my Super Bowl Champs.  But baseball is just the better sport.  Most people prefer the instant and flashy football to the the patience and pedestrian baseball.  Baseball is America's pastime.  I one time tried to explain to a friend of mine how baseball is the Catholic sport.  It's a sport where you don't have to be the biggest or the strongest to be the best.  But I digress...

If you've never seen it, I recommend the DVD Champions of Faith.  It's a great telling of the role players Catholic faith plays into their daily lives as baseball players.  A couple stories are very powerful.

Back to the Brewers, two players will be starting in this weeks All Star Game - Prince Fielder who won the Home Run Derby in 2009 and Rickie Weeks.

9 comments:

Larry Denninger said...

Speaking of Bishball...er, baseball...did you get my email Friday?

Badger Catholic said...

ROFL! I walk away from my desk and remembered, oh yeah, LarryD sent me the Bishball email. I am considering.

Anonymous said...

Woot, woot!
I've been saying all along - this is their year.
It's taking some time, but they're getting there!

Downside is the organization is considering demand-based ticket pricing.

So much for us poor folks getting the family to a game!

Dad29 said...

"Biggest"??

None of the Lombardi teams consisted of the "biggest" players; Fran Tarkenton was a shrimp (as was Willie Wood, by the way.)

Henry Jordan--with whom I worked a few times--was only about 230 lbs (but he was a tough man); Gale Sayers wasn't "big" by any stretch.

And...by the way....most time spent watching football is actually "waiting" time; about 40 minutes of every pro game.

Badger Catholic said...

Losing my whole comment is what I get for spending too much time on this. The main point is does anyone call football boring like folks call baseball boring? And every pitch over 162 games versus every play over 16 games. Anyone could hit a fastball with the right technique. Not everyone can push a 350 lb man out of the way. Sure we have a great tradition in Green Bay, where Milwaukee's gone through the bad business side of sports. But Milwaukee's still a baseball town!

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Even though at heart I am a Cubs fan (my cousin who grew up in Chicago says that's good training for life), I appreciate people on the west side of the the state, closer to the Twin Cities than Milwaukee, speaking up for our home town team.

Kat said...

At least the Cubs occasionally make it into the playoffs. The Brewers, on the other hand, build us up and then let us down. Every year. When they can make it to .500, we're happy. In my lifetime, they've only gotten a postseason berth once. And yet, every year, we tell ourselves this is the one...

BC, baseball is a thinking man's game. It's all about time for reflection...and beer.

Badger Catholic said...

Kat, ....are you saying football is a "woman's game?" LOL!

And remember that much of our lifetime was spent under the tyranny of one Bud Selig. The man didn't want to win.

Kat said...

Heck no. Put me in line for the baseball tickets any day of the week. When I lived in Milwaukee, one of my friends and I would spend half of our summers down at County Stadium.

"Man" was the generic term. C'mon -- we're Catholics, not catholycs. ;)