Holy Spirits?

By now you have a pretty good idea of the character of Holy Spirits LLC and its founder, the Rev. Domenic Roscioli of Kenosha.

But this is not a tale of some priest who left his calling to become a successful businessman through Catholic punning. Roscioli is still a priest. Profits from sales of his products go to charity. The products are available to individual consumers but are designed primarily for churches, schools and nonprofits as fundraising opportunities.

And in tribute to his home state, almost all are made in Wisconsin.

Dom's consumables began two years ago with Holy Spirits Wines, a partnership with local businessmen Jody Becker and Trattoria di Carlo owner Carlo Pedone.

Each wine - there are now eight - is associated with a different saint: the Pinot Noir with St. Valentine, for example, the Chardonnay with Joan of Arc. There's also a nonalcoholic sparkler pegged to St. Christopher, "patron saint of designated drivers."

Most wines are from California, though the Riesling is made by Von Stiehl in Algoma.

Like all of Father Dom's products, the wine is not just about wine.

Growing up, he writes at the Holy Spirits website, he never felt alone. At church, "there were saints in the stained glass windows, angels painted on the ceiling, and statues standing watch." Likewise, in his Italian Catholic home, saints stood watch in every room.
Mil JS

That's the ... spirit!

5 comments:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

My Father's house should be a house of prayer, but you have turned it into a wine merchant's cellar...

Badger Catholic said...

I think it's a Catholic thing SJ.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

So Jesus doesn't count?

Badger Catholic said...

Are you Catholic or Christian SJ? I was assuming not via some other comments. I assume Father Dom is not producing or selling wine in a church building.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

I don't seriously care that a priest is selling a line of wine for use in communion. The original remark was mostly tongue in cheek. There are charismatic Protestant swindlers who far more flagrantly resemble the money changers in the temple.

I was raised Presbyterian, in a mostly Catholic neighborhood, with a Jewish family name (I blog using the name of a Welsh branch of the family tree). I currently belong to a Methodist denomination. So I am not Roman Catholic, I am Christian, I have doubts that the Trinity is THE NATURE of the deity, but I'm a non-militant unitarian -- I have no problem singing "Father, Son and Holy Ghost."

If I can define myself doctrinally at all, and I try not to, I lean toward Arminian views, which many Calvinists would say is almost as bad as being "Romish." There is a valuable humanist teaching within the vessel of your church. I've been the token Protestant at a Catholic Worker house.I favor Wesley over Calvin, but I don't take his teaching as a priori authority.