Philadelphia's new archbishop

You know what the headlines are likely to be: "Pope names arch-conservative to Philadelphia," or "Hard-liner to take over Philly church." Are you really an arch-conservative and a hard-liner?

I actually don't see myself as a conservative at all. I try to be faithful to the church's teaching, as the church has handed it on to us. I don't feel that as a Christian or as a bishop I have a right to play with that tradition, which is the apostolic tradition of the church ... As an example, I certainly want to be faithful to the Holy Father and his teaching about the traditional expression of the Roman liturgy in the Tridentine form. I supported that and will continue to support that. It isn't, however, my personal interest or direction.
NCR - Exclusive interview with Archbishop Charles Chaput

Everyone else is covering this pretty close.  If you want more info, you can check out NewAdvent for the latest.

Also Regnum Novum has a great 2008 interview of Archbishop Chaput by Peter Robinson.

HT Man with Black Hat

1 comment:

TLW said...

Well, if he brings the renegades in line who have treated the Novus Ordo like Sunday Morning at the Improv, that will be plenty for me. Some of the parishes in Philadelphia that are staffed by orders as opposed to diocesan priests have taken some pretty big liberties with the Mass. I prefer to see this glass as half-full.