Fassino: Why I hate bad church music


Nico Fassino
Former(I think, or is he still there?) president of UW Badger Catholic Nico Fassino wrote an op-ed in the Madison Catholic Register.  I see Father Z also picked it up and posted commentary
Recently, the Catholic Herald published two excellent articles by the incredibly well-educated and well-formed Sr. Joan L. Roccasalvo, entitled “Rebuilding Catholic Culture.”

In these essays, Sister Roccasalvo vigorously defends the teachings of the popes and the Second Vatican Council concerning what music is proper for use during the sacred liturgies of the Church, while simultaneously arguing against the use of modern folk-style music commonly found in many parishes.

Response to letter writers

I decided to write this piece after reading several letters-to-the-editor written by people who were very unhappy with her columns.

I actually wanted to title this column “In Defense of Sacred Music: Why the Celebration of Christ’s Death and Resurrection at the All-Holy Mass Deserves Something Better Than Low-Brow Tripe,” but that was obviously too long and I figured that “Why I hate bad Church music” would still draw the eyes of those I wanted to reach.

Some people are upset that Sister Roccasalvo condemns the use of songs that have very little value as actual music (i.e., songs that are shoddily composed, use inappropriate or heretical text, call for the use of multiple tambourines as accompaniment, etc).

Her comments have been interpreted by some as an attack on the ability of the congregation to actively participate in the liturgy. Others are offended because they believe that any music that makes them feel good is proper for use at the Mass. I’ll be honest: when I hear comments like this, I want to beat my head repeatedly against my desk.
continue at MadCatHerald

Like! 

2 comments:

Kat said...

You were right with former. He's currently the Catholic Herald's administrative assistant, and is probably fielding angry phone calls and e-mails right now. :)

Anonymous said...

great article, now he should just ditch the hipster glasses and get a hair-cut and embrace the angry phone calls from the libs!