Wherein musical selections leave me dazed and confused

At least that's how I feel sometimes.  My former parish has an excellent music program.  But I'm not exactly sure how to explain this.  For Advent and Lent they sing the Gregorian propers, not just plainchant, but the real deal assigned for the season.  I LOVE IT. 


Notice even an adapted Memorial and Amen, well done
Now there is a Kyrie for Mass XVII but it is not used, still in Greek though
I know you are jealous

Now comes Christmas!
Well....
*SIIIIGH* feels like someone socked me with a missal

Wait, but the choir blow the roof off with an awesome Agnus Dei?
but then the following Sunday has moved back to English
So I'm not quite sure what the vision is.  There is such a stark contrast between the Gregorian Chant and English versions.  It seems like plainchant would be a middle ground if there was a hope to move in that direction.  Perhaps everyone, the English squatters and the Latin pushers(of which I was one of the few), get their way at some point during the year.  I don't know.  So I must say that singing the Gregorian chant through a penitential season and then not being able to rejoice with them at the pinnacle of said season is both disappointing and confusing; but only because it is so fresh in my mind what I could have had. 

There I said it.  If I am now censured or something you know why.

1 comment:

M.K. Schumacher said...

What a shame to see the Gregorian Propers transcribed into modern notation.

Still better than not using them though.