Pope Francis: “The Church is a mother, not a baby sitter”

In the homily he said, among other things, the phrase which has become famous: “The Church is a mother, not a baby sitter.” I particularly remember by heart some penetrating thoughts: “The strength of baptism gives us the courage to go and proclaim the Gospel, even as lay people, such as those who were dispersed from Jerusalem … Unfortunately, we consider the grace of being Christians in too closed a manner, we are closed in by our anxieties … Sometimes we think: “I am baptized, I made my first communion and confirmation, I got married in the Church, I have a good profession, I am a Christian lawyer or a doctor, I can sleep peacefully” … It is not enough, the Church is a mother, it is not a babysitter that puts you to bed, not a sleeping Church… Where is the power of the Holy Spirit? Being a Christian is a grace that moves us to emerge from ourselves, to go with the power of the Holy Spirit, to proclaim Jesus Christ with our lives, through testimony and words.”
Source

Photo

No comments: