Old St. Louis Cathedral restoration

Reformulating a comment I left on Facebook yesterday, I'd like to pose a sincere question about the nearly-completed restoration work being done to the Old Cathedral.

My wife and I were married in the Old Cathedral (the Basilica of St. Louis IX, King of France), so that fact adds to the all of the other reasons why I love this church. It is the oldest Cathedral west of the Mississippi. It was the principal church of a diocese which at one time covered the entire Louisiana Purchase. It sits like a jewel beneath the Arch in every touristy-skyline photo, reminding everyone of the presence of the still amazingly vital Catholic Faith in this city.

The City's Catholicism is co-extant with its existence, founded by the French before the nation was founded, and before many of the cities of this continent that are much further east, towards the coast.
continue at St Louis Catholic

No comments: