Seminarian running back leads St.Thomas(MN) to Division III championship game

ST. PAUL, Minn. — A seminarian with a powerful conversion story is leading the University of St. Thomas football team to the Division III national championship game Dec. 18.

Three years ago, Jordan Roberts was enjoying life as a star running back for the University of South Dakota in Vermillion.

But in October 2012, his girlfriend of seven years broke up with him. Less than 24 hours later, his best friend committed suicide.

His fragile faith seemed woefully insufficient for this double whammy, like a quarterback trying to escape an all-out blitz.

“Those two things combined was probably the greatest pain that I’ve ever experienced as a human being. I was just screaming, I broke a bunch of stuff. It was bad, it was really bad,” Roberts, 22, told The Catholic Spirit, newspaper of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis. “I really had nowhere to turn. I hit rock bottom, and I looked for answers.”
continue at The Compass

The game is at 6pm tonight on ESPN U.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nothing like combining Catholicism and Rockem Sockem. The held-Lectionary hearkens back to then-Fr.Robert Carlson, chaplain of the St. Thomas football team, placing the football on the altar during pre-game Masses. I'm sure he'd rather imitate Isaac Jogues than admit that. I always maintain God cares not for football games, only football players.