The next bishop of the Diocese of La Crosse?

I've heard a name thrown around in the mix.  Honestly I hadn't heard of him until just recently so I dont have too many details.  And nobody "in the know" has said anything to me either, it is all speculation at this point.  Buuuuut, he sounds like exactly the kind of man that Pope BXVI and Arch Burke would be interested in.  

Msgr. Charles M. Mangan is a priest of the Diocese of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. A prolific writer, he served as a member of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life. Monsignor has a S.T.L. in Canon Law and now works within his diocese on various apostolic works, including The Mary Project.

Msgr. Mangan will be speaking at the 2010 IRL National Meeting where Arch. Burke will be delivering the keynote address and Burke is the 2010 Pro Fidelitate et Virtute Award Recipient.  

I found these additonional tidbits
  • He has an S.T.L. in Canon Law and is currently completing a doctorate in Mariology(Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe is in La Crosse).
  •  47 years old, named monsignor in 2004
  • He is involved with the House of Mary Shrine in Yankton, SD(again Guadalupe Shrine)


Now, another man who apparently is being groomed(almost exclusively worked at the diocesan level) and I think will make a great bishop someday is Msgr. Richard Gilles. Currently he serves as Diocesan Administrator for the diocese of La Crosse and also served other diocesan rolls(Vicar General and Moderator of the Curia).  I think he told me he was in his late 40s if I remember correctly.  If I had to speculate(which I do even in my sleep), I'd say Msgr. Gilles will end up as an auxiliary bishop in Minneapolis/St. Paul or Milwaukee after the retirement of one of the auxiliaries there.  He has primarily served in administrative rolls.  Buuuuut, like Arch. Burke, Msgr. Gilles could be a home grown bishop so it is possible that he could also have his come-up-ins in the same manner.   Buuuuuut, then again, Arch. Burke had the approval of the saintly Fr. John Hardon, SJ who met with Pope JP2 regularly(I think they knew each other while Burke was still a monsignor but I could be mistaken). 

There are a few priest in the diocese that I think would make great bishops also but I'd truely be guessing to name any.  Again, I'm just checking out the landscape here, I haven't heard any actual names passed around at this point.

No comments: