Stories of Father Hardon and the Sacrament of Confession

There was a long line, as usual, in front of the confessional.  Although two other priests were also hearing confessions, all the lines were long.  The woman waiting in line was next.  She had been trying for three weeks to get to confession but without success.  It seemed every time she would be thwarted by time running out and the priest being called to say Mass or some other pastoral responsibility.  How could she keep her biweekly confessional commitment if she could not find a priest with the time to hear it?

Yet again, it seemed that time was running out and she would miss her chance. But wait, now she was the very next person in line.  As she waited, a gentleman walked into the church and waited right outside the door of the confessional where she was waiting.  Disheartened, she realized that this time would be no different.  Sure enough, as soon as the penitent left the confessional, the man knocked on the door and the priest opened to see what was wanted.  “Father, it is time for your meeting in the lounge.”  Sadly, the woman waited to hear the priest's response.  The priest turned and looked to see how many persons were waiting in line.  He looked into the eyes of the woman with a gentleness hard to explain.  There must have been at least five or more people waiting.

After a brief pause, he turned to the man and said, "Please, ask them to be so kind as to wait a little longer." He then turned and entered the confessional to hear more confessions.  The woman entered the confessional and began to thank him for staying, trying to control her tears of thankfulness.  It was Father Hardon, as you probably guessed long ago.



Father believed so strongly in the fruits of a good confession that he would go every day. When he was teaching the classes at Domino’s Farms in Ann Arbor, he urged the students that every time they saw a priest, to go and ask him to hear their confession.  "It is good for them.  It helps them grow in holiness."

He would hear confessions anywhere.  In fact, Marlene Elwell, traveled with Father to meet Mother Teresa in Washington, D.C.  Mother Teresa was going to appear at the national prayer breakfast. Marlene explained that she and Father Hardon had a connecting flight back to Detroit.  As they were waiting to board the plane, Father Hardon said he would be right back, that he was going to the bathroom.  As time passed, no Father Hardon.  As time came to board the plane, still no Father Hardon.  Where was he?  He missed his flight.  She was frantic.

Once in Detroit she waited for the next flight and sure enough here comes Father Hardon.

"Father, what happened? I was so worried.  I could not find you anywhere."

"Oh," he said.  "There was a man in the bathroom who wanted me to hear his confession.  It took some time.  He hadn't been in forty years."

5 comments:

Dad29 said...

I'm going to steal parts of that for my blog.

Badger Catholic said...

It's not stealing among friends! Plus I've been known to steal some of yours... ;)

Teresa said...

That is a wondeful true story. I have been in turmoil or struggling with my faith because of something horrible that happened to me at a Catholic college. And, honestly I know confession is important but I still have not found a love for it. I did find it somewhat healing when I was at Franciscan. But, after I was wronged there cause I trusted powers that be too much I have been struggling in my faith ever since. I do love the Catholic faith and its principles and am starting to come back to the faith now.

Fr. John Mary, ISJ said...

I, myself, experienced such an occurrence with Fr. Hardon, many years ago. He caught a priest of my acquaintance before Mass to hear his confession...I was very inspired, edified...he must be a saint. His writings, life and example show such humility, fidelity, love of the Lord and the Church!

Badger Catholic said...

Teresa, I pray God give you the healing you need.

Naz priest, truly this man was a saint!