St Mary's Church, Dubuque, IA - Statues, chalices, etc. being sold

The denouement of St. Mary's begins today.

Parish representatives from around the Archdiocese of Dubuque and other dioceses in Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin have been invited to tour the church today to pick out statues, chalices, banners, crucifixes and other items that can be used in their own churches.  [I think we should just start collecting all of this artwork and create a Reform of the Reform Church somewhere.  The stone that you builders rejected has now become the cornerstone.]

"We hope the Mass and liturgical items will find new homes in area parishes," said Monsignor Tom Toale, vicar general for the archdiocese. The items will be sold with the money going to pay off the parish's outstanding debt. Eventually, the public will be able to purchase items from the church.

"I'm speechless. It breaks my heart. I don't even know how to process the idea," that the church's religious components are being removed and parceled out to other churches, said Candice Chaloupka, former member of St. Mary's and co-author of the historical and pictorial book, "St. Mary's: The Finest Church West of the Mississippi." [I'd like to get my hands on that book]

Earlier this year, at the urging of a group working to keep St. Mary's open, the archdiocese contacted the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest to take over St. Mary's and keep it open. The group, which has preserved other historical American churches as Catholic shrines, "was not able or interested to do so at this time," Toale said.  [Tragic]

Telegraph Herald

I'm sure by "sold" they mean "in exchange for free will donations" on the items of which have been consecrated to God.
Arts leader has vision for St. Mary's


Details on St. Mary's closure

Sad that we have to watch this before our eyes.  Here's some photos that were hard to come by.



Don't worry, the recently built Resurrection Church in Dubuque will be just as beautiful, riiiight??

18 comments:

Fr. John Mary, ISJ said...

My heart is just sick...I used to pray at St. Mary in Dubuque; went to Mass there, as well, some thirty years ago as a student at Loras College.
Anybody who wants to "rescue" any holy items may bring them to us; we're more than ready to receive them; anything!

Anonymous said...

What a shame!
I didn't read about the recently built church...but how far apart are the two?
I would think they would prefer to purchase this beautiful building rather than build.

Ah, the power of Google, BC...ask and ye shall receive. (From a Sunday, May 23, 2010 TH article entitled "Holy Ground"...info on purchasing the book.

"St. Mary's: The Finest Church West of the Mississippi," a four-color history book being written by Candice Chaloupka and Suzanne Wright, will be published in early July. Pre-sale orders are being taken.

Cost is $15.

Order forms and checks or money orders can be sent to BHC Publishing, 525 W. Locust St., Apt. B, Dubuque, Iowa, 52001.

All proceeds will be donated to the Sisters of St. Francis. After July 12, copies will be at the Iowa Welcome Center, Third and Main streets, and other locations to be determined.

For more information, call 563-451-7914 or 563-580-5050 or e-mail stmarysbook@gmail.com.

Badger Catholic said...

Thank you Anonymous!

Badger Catholic said...

Father, I'll rent the U-haul. :)

Fr. John Mary, ISJ said...

BC: God bless you!

Al said...

I think you can guess which I would prefer have stayed open.

Badger Catholic said...

Yes, I would think EVERYbody would think that way though... Al, do you know if anything more has happened with this? I wonder where all these treasures will be moved to.

Anonymous said...

This is truly tragic, I grew up in this Church and think it is a shame and crime.It is so sad that everyone stopped going to church. I am praying the Lord saves my favorite church in the world. I am praying for a miracle!

Donna Nechetsky

Badger Catholic said...

Agreed Donna

Anonymous said...

I will pray with all my heart on this matter!

Anonymous said...

I am new to the area and did not realize this was scheduled last May, but I still will pray diligently for the preservation of this church to our Blessed Mother.

Anonymous said...

The high altar from St. Mary's Dubuque has been installed in another German-Catholic church over in Freeport, IL (not sure what diocese that is in). Story from the Dubuque Telegraph-Herald is here. The church is all closed up now.

It's a real pity. I used to go to daily Mass sometimes there. The problem was that there was another Catholic church (St. Patrick's) two blocks away--they were built so closely together because St. Mary's was for the German speakers, St. Patrick for the English-speakers, and that's how they did things back in the 19th century.

St. Patrick stayed open, but was clustered with the Cathedral of St. Raphael--it's about 15 blocks away. Both parishes are financially strapped. Dubuque has a vast Catholic population, but not many attend church except for Christmas and Easter.

The Church of the Resurrection that you mentioned is over on the west side of town (about 15-20 minutes drive from St. Mary's). The parish there is HUGE, so they had the money to expand. I wish they could just farm out some of their parishioners to the older parishes instead. It's not like it is a far drive.

Anonymous said...

When I heard of the closing of St. Mary's - my heart was filled with sadness. All my ancestors, from the 1800's until the late 1900's were parishoners, including my sister and brother.
I now reside in Arizona and attend a small church which is very poor and I see first hand how many people only attend Mass on "special" occasions and their faith has not been instilled & nurtured from generation to generation. In my observations, it seems that people don't attend Mass or Church in lower income areas: however, in more affluent areas and newer buildings - one sees more activity in attendence.
So many years ago The Beautiful St. Mary's Church was a beacon to all in the area and I can remember the Church Chimes ringing ever so majesticly for all.
Dispite my sadness, I recall: This world will pass away ......... Vickie Tschudi Jones

Anonymous said...

Good point Vickie. My Mom used to say "None of this will matter 100 years from now anyway."

Johnthgr said...

Were you able to get your hands on the book about St Mary's Church (St Mary's, Finest Church west of the Mississippi?). If not i have a copy of it that I would loan you.

Anonymous said...

My heart is breaking! I went to school at St Mary's & received my 1st Communion there as well as my Confirmation, truly the most beautiful Church I have ever seen.

Anonymous said...

This would be the church of church's to offer the Latin Mass daily. I think the attendance would be unbelievable. An early morning Mass at 6:00 A.M. and a 5:30 P.M. Mass in the evening. These times would allow the majority of the working class to make the Mass daily. I will say I dream big, but the church was built for the Latin Mass. No one can beat the dream like this..

Badger Catholic said...

I believe I heard that the archdiocese did reach out to one of the Latin Mass apostolates but they were not able to take on this parish at the time.