First Saturday Devotion
Father Peter Damian M. Fehlner, F.I. will give a presentation at the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in La Crosse at 10:30 a.m. in the crypt of the Shrine Church. At 11:30, we will pray the Holy Rosary in reparation for sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass will begin at 12:15 p.m.
Did you know that the Cardinal originally planned the Shrine to be devoted to Our Lady of Fatima?Requirements
1. Go to Confession—eight (8) days before or after First Saturday with the intention in your heart of making reparation and consoling Our Blessed Mother.
(When Lucia asked Jesus if it might be valid to go to Confession within 8 days, He told her yes, and that it could be even longer still as long as they are in the state of grace when they receive Him and have the intention of making reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. So, if you cannot confess on the First Saturday itself, do so when you can. Heaven is looking for dispositions of mind and heart and at least monthly Confession.)
2. Receive Holy Communion on First Saturday in a spirit of reparation—a spiritual communion will not suffice.
3. Pray five decades of the Holy Rosary with the intention of making reparation for offenses made against the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
4. Keep Mary company by meditating for fifteen minutes on the mysteries of the Rosary. This meditation entails thinking or reading meditatively (frequently pausing to reflect on the material read), in order to dwell on one or more of the mysteries in Our Lady’s life. The fifteen-minute meditation and the praying of the Holy Rosary are to be performed separately.
First Saturday Promises
God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart. If what I say to you is done, many souls will be saved and there will be peace.
I promise to assist at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation all those who practice the First Saturday devotion for five consecutive months.
Why five consecutive First Saturdays of reparation?
The five consecutive First Saturdays of reparation were requested by Our Lady of Fatima to atone for the five ways in which people offend her Immaculate Heart:
1. Attacks upon Mary’s Immaculate Conception;
2. Attacks against her Perpetual Virginity;
3. Attacks upon her Divine Maternity and the refusal to accept her as the Mother of all mankind.
4. For those who try to publicly implant in children’s hearts indifference, contempt and even hatred of this Immaculate Mother;
5. For those who insult her directly in her sacred images.
The First Saturday devotion was revealed to Sister Lucia while she was in prayer in the convent chapel at Pontevedra, Spain. Appearing with the Queen of Heaven in that apparition was the Infant Jesus, Who said to Lucia: “Have pity on the Heart of your Most Holy Mother. It is covered with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment, and there is no one to remove them with an act of reparation.” Our Lady then spoke: “See, my daughter, my Heart encircled by thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude.”Obtain more information from: World Apostolate of Fatima, www.wafusa.org