Finding a home at Old St. Mary's in Milwaukee

My family and I recently left the large suburban parish where we had been members for 21 years.  It wasn't an easy decision to make; it took us ten years (seriously) and it involved much prayer and discussion.  But over the course of the last few years, worship there felt more distracted than prayerful.  It was time to find a new church to call home.

After a year of church shopping, we finally found our new home downtown at Old St. Mary, the oldest church in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.  The church is so beautiful that it's impossible for me to become distracted for long; there's always a statue, painting or stained glass window to draw my attention back to the Lord. [magnificently put]  The rich history of prayer and beauty within the walls of the church help me to deeply know the Lord's presence and peace whenever I spend time in prayer at Old St. Mary. I've been attending the daily 7 AM Mass there for the past six months and that experience has been so spiritually uplifting for me that I easily get out of bed early in the morning eager for worship.  It's the highlight of my day!
continue at Imprisoned in my Bones


I did find an old post I did on Old St. Mary's but I just had black and white photos.  I've never been there in person but I'm putting it on my list!  I will be visiting a few churches in Milwaukee later in August. 

6 comments:

James K Savonarola said...

alright a stop at st. Stans then?

Badger Catholic said...

... I think that's Old St. Mary's? Someone in the comments of the old article shared the photos. Is that wrong?

Aged parent said...

Back in the late 60s and early 70s they still had the Ancient Rite mass there said somewhat regularly. Unfortunately I never attended it there but I am told it was a lovely experience.

James K Savonarola said...

no it is St. Marys...I was just saying "then a stop at St. Stans afterward" sorry if should have given greater context

Badger Catholic said...

Ahh, sorry, I'm a little slow today :)

Dave P. said...

Old St. Mary's is my home parish. Frs. Tim Kitzke and Mike Michalski also take care of three other parishes.