An ode to beer by St Brigid

There is a 10th century poem, attributed to Brigid herself, that speaks of giving "a lake of beer to God." This wonderful poem has a Franciscan feel to it - with both its earthy, human quality and delight in God.

I'd like to give a lake of beer to God.
I'd love the heavenly
Host to be tippling there
For all eternity.

I'd love the men of Heaven to live with me,
To dance and sing.
If they wanted, I'd put at their disposal
Vats of suffering.

White cups of love I'd give them
With a heart and a half;
Sweet pitchers of mercy I'd offer
To every man.

I'd make Heaven a cheerful spot
Because the happy heart is true.
I'd make the men contented for their own sake.
I'd like Jesus to love me too.

I'd like the people of heaven to gather
From all the parishes around.
I'd give a special welcome to the women,
The three Marys of great renown.

I'd sit with the men, the women and God
There by the lake of beer.
We'd be drinking good health forever
And every drop would be a prayer.
Franciscan Pondering

So this is fun Catholic stuff, but St. Brigid of Kildare who's feast is February 1st died in the year of our Lord 525, so I'm not sure if the attribution is correct.  I didn't find the year at this helpful article but maybe the numberings off, the poem is definitely attributed to her. 

This also reminded me of our old post: Is there beer in heaven?

I am still of the opinion of the Germans. 

Photo 

HT Angela

4 comments:

Long-Skirts said...

Man's
Best
Friend

A man's best friend
If you please
Is not a dog
But cheddar cheese.

A cheese whose taste
Runs sharp or mellow
Why cheese with beer
Can help a fellow

And make him look
Like a handsome hunk
When he passes some
To a girl that's drunk

In the local pub
If truth be told
When the girls get silly
Then cheese is gold

Where drafts of beer
Make you look better
As she gulps them down
With a side of cheddar!

Ya gotta love the Irish! I believe she wrote it. I myself, come from a long line of Quinns, McRees and Malarkeys! ;-)

Badger Catholic said...

Excellent!

Al said...

"From now on, I tell you, I shall never again drink wine until the day I drink the new wine with you in the kingdom of my Father." Matthew 26:29

Don't know about beer in Heaven, but I think it is safe to say there will be wine there. Probably a good Italiano vintage.

Cassandra said...

As for the Germans, anyone who makes a theological case on an accordion must viewed with the utmost suspicion. Is not the accordion that most perverse and detestable instrument of the devil, that modern incarnation of the pipes of Pan?