Cardinal George says cancer appears to be active again

.- Cardinal Francis George of Chicago told his archdiocese that Lent finds him in “poor health” as cancer in his right kidney that was dormant for over a year is “showing signs of new activity.”

“While I am not experiencing symptoms of cancer at this time, this is a difficult form of the disease, and it will most probably eventually be the cause of my death,” he wrote in his most recent column for the Catholic New World archdiocesan paper.

Cardinal George said that after “many tests, scans, biopsies and other inconveniences,” he was advised to enter into an aggressive round of chemotherapy which will take place over the next two months.
....
“As I prepare for this next round of chemo, I ask for your prayers, which have always sustained me, and for your understanding if I cannot always fulfill the schedule already set for the next several months.”

In his column, Cardinal George also said “I imagine this news will increase speculation about my retirement.” However, the “only certainty is that no one knows when that will be, except perhaps the Holy Father, and he hasn't told me.”
continue at CNA

No comments: