Relevant Radio's Fr. Rocky on the hot seat after pro-marriage talk at Catholic high school

I missed this over the weekend:
The Rev. Francis “Rocky” Hoffman, a priest of Opus Dei, an orthodox division of the Roman Catholic Church, and executive director and radio host of Relevant Radio, a Catholic radio network that broadcasts on 33 stations in 13 states and online, had spoken to a school-wide assembly at The Prout School, where Anna is a junior. The speech was being taped to be broadcast on Relevant Radio at a later date.

“She was most upset about the divisive and offensive language regarding divorce, homosexuality and even adoption,” Kathleen Schlenz said. “None of the parents or faculty knew it was being taped to be aired. They were essentially held hostage and told to clap after this man’s responses to questions, even when they didn’t agree with them.”

Father Hoffman was on retreat and unavailable for comment before the Independent went to press Wednesday.

On April 10, parents received a letter of apology from Principal David Carradini since Friday. In the new letter, Carradini announced he would not resign.

“People in our community are calling for my resignation, seeing in this event the culmination of frustration with my leadership,” Carradini wrote in the April 10 letter. ”I have taken this call very seriously, deliberating with myself for days and seeking counsel from others. I sincerely believe that my resignation as Principal is not in the best interests of The Prout School. I have this discussed this option with diocesan officials and they, too, believe that I should continue in my position as the leader of our School.”
More at Father Z's place 
Also at Patheos

Good for Fr. Rocky!  The fact the principal thought about resigning goes to show the school may not be salvageable.  I hope Wisconsin diocesan schools can invite him to give the same talk.  

HT Creative Minority

3 comments:

JoshD said...

I would really like to know two things with this whole situation (For the record I greatly enjoy Fr. Rocky and he always seems to have a tremendously gentle and pastoral touch while clearly proclaiming the Truth):

1) What was actually said by Fr. Rocky and what of that was deemed problematic?

2) Is it true that parents were not told about it being recorded for broadcast? I really like Fr. Rocky's work at Relevant Radio, but I admit I would be unhappy to learn that my children were going to be recorded, and then not even tell me, even if they were to just be "in the crowd". I suppose I might feel different if I had high-schoolers (my oldest is 8), but IF this is true, it is at least a little unnerving, even in light of the necessary and I'm trusting accurate presentation of the Church's teaching on these matters.

Mike Lowe said...

Why would a Catholic school have a problem with a Catholic priest presenting beliefs of the Catholic Church? If the students did not agree with the talk, which I assume was based on Catholic teachings, perhaps the principal should look into why his Catholic students have NON-Catholic views. It has always boggled my mind, as to why Catholics who don't believe marriage is between a man and a woman are still in the Catholic Church. Why don't they leave and join an organization that shares their views? By staying, they perpetuate their NON-Catholic views, and make the Church weaker from within. Was the speech divisive, or is the Catholic church already divided, between those who believe Church teachings, and those who do not? Perhaps a poll should be taken, and those who do no believe in Church teachings should be asked to leave.

Mike Lowe said...

On the radio, you aren't really "recorded" unless you say something or make some kind of noise. So I'm not sure why this would bother you?